We Are Under Attack
Watch out! Caution. Beware.
We’ve spoken about this before. Several times, actually. But it’s getting pretty serious! It’s more infectious, than we originally thought. For some of us, it’s hereditary. For most of us, we get infected by it from contact with other people. But the saddest and most troubling cases, are those that are self inflicted.
Negative self talk and doubt are destroying our future.
I know! We’ve gone through this already. But after talking to a few people over the past few weeks, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a bigger issue than I originally thought. Here’s what we know: Doubt and negative self talk cut us down, before we even get started. And they work together in such a cunning and powerful way, that it can sometimes feel like there is nothing to do but give in, and let it overtake us. Often, doubt comes in and starts things off by telling us we might not be able to do something.
Let’s take starting a new business, for example. Let’s say you have, what you feel, is a great idea for a business. You’ve prayed about it and everything leads back to you just getting out there and doing it. You start doing your research. You see how difficult things are going to be. You find out that it takes more money than you originally anticipated. At this point, doubt slips in and tells you that you can’t do it. Doubt tells you that you won’t be able to get what you need, to be successful. And after that, negative self talk comes in and seals the deal. After you doubt yourself, you start TELLING yourself that doubt is right. You come up with all the reasons you can’t, and forget about all the reasons you can.
But, there is a remedy! And like a lot of remedies, it can take time to work it’s way through your system.
- Talk to the King. Building a relationship with God is a really good first line of defense, when it comes to both doubt and self talk. Talking to God everyday, focusing on His promises, and remembering that He has a specific plan for your life, should clear up a lot of doubt. The act of remembering that God loves you and has equipped you with everything you need, should make you feel a bit more confident. And if you’re still lacking confidence, you can always call on Jesus and He’ll step right in. Repeating these things to yourself and keeping in mind that you are fearfully and wonderfully made, should help with the negative self talk.
- Build your cheer-leading squad. You need people in your corner. I’m talking about those people who encourage you, always have positive things to say about you, and even instruct you into doing things better. Even when you feel you can’t, they’re there to push you a step further. These people can be friends, parents, other family members, coworkers, and even teachers. You call them when you’re discouraged, and they’re there to reassure you.
- Go fish. Cast your line. Go after it, even though it may be scary to see what you catch. In other words, go for it! Fight your fear. Sometimes, we just need to overcome the fear, and success follows. It’s like learning to swim, back flip, skate, ride a bike…you get it!
Fight your fear. Sometimes, we just need to overcome the fear, and success follows.
What are your thoughts? Are there things that you’re fighting with? What steps are you taking to overcome? We’d love to hear from you. Comment below.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (KJV)
- Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. (ESV)
- Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (NIV)
~ Dr. Alysia Williams-Brown
Heavenly Father, we submit ourselves totally to You. Lord, we give You our thoughts, fears, concerns, and cares. We submit them all to Your power. For You are ALL powerful, able to make any wrong, right…able to cast out all fear. We praise You for all You’re going to do through us. Wrap us in Your Holy Spirit. Help us to turn towards You with all of our concerns. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.
November 09, 2017
September 08, 2017
May 23, 2017